Login/Register

Newspaper article: Drought Reveals Canal Boats on Rappahannock River Bed

Identifier: 2017.1.284
Object titles: Drought Reveals Canal Boats on Rappahannock River Bed
Acquisition and Creation Dates:
Acquisition Date 1965 - 2012
Date Cataloged June 13 2017
Object Source Information: RHS Archives,RHS reference
Georeference: [38.69572998891,-77.907524354492]
Description: The drought in 1953 revealed remnants of canal boots along the Rappahannock River at Waterloo. Richmond Times Dispatch article reprinted by the Culpeper Star-Exponent. The canal was only in use for 8 or 10 years when it was replaced by the arrival of rail travel. At one time the area of Waterloo had four stores, a woolen mill owned by Middleton Miller, warehouses, a shop which made canal boats, and blacksmith shops. Shield's Command destroyed the mill because cloth for confederate soldier's uniforms was made there. General Beauregard burned the bridge at Waterloo when he was retreating from the first Battle of Manassas.

Related collections

Canals (is part of)
Civil War (is part of)
Miller Family (is part of)
Schwartz Family (is part of)
Laurel Mills (is part of)